Block-All-Sound Earplugs? (2024)

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Posts
1,290
Likes

So, now being a full-time student, I often find myself getting very distracted whenever someone makes the slightest noise around me (studying law is tricky enough as it is, without people walking by, chatting, etc.)

Anyone able to recommend a pair of earplugs that block out as much noise as possible? Basicly, I want to have a deaf-switch. I saw there's loads of threads on the earplug matter, but the ones I read were concert related - I don't want to hear everything at a lower volume, I don't want to heir it.

Block-All-Sound Earplugs? (2)

Also, if I could avoid looking like a dork, I would really appreciate it.

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:22 PMPost #2 of 10

Dzjudz

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Posts
1,883
Likes

Problem is that you don't hear all sounds through your ear canal. Sound waves travel through your bones (skull) etc, so you will never be 'deaf'. Best thing would be plugs completely molded to your ears.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:00 PMPost #4 of 10

sourced

Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Posts
Likes

Agreed, foam plugs would probably fit the bill. Just make sure you insert them correctly (deep enough).

If you're willing to go full dork mode and (combined with earplugs) hear the deafening silence of blood rushing past your ears, ear muffs are probably the way to go. Do it.
Block-All-Sound Earplugs? (6)

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:09 PMPost #5 of 10

Hellbishop

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Posts
489
Likes

Quote:

sourced said:

Block-All-Sound Earplugs? (8)

Great suggestion. Thats what i did aswell as use IEMs ifam alsoin the mood for music or games while still blocking out distracting environmental sounds.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:29 AMPost #6 of 10

Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Posts
Likes

Quote:

staal said:

Oh.. I don't.. No. I don't have the street cred to pull that off.

Block-All-Sound Earplugs? (12)

Will probably have to go with foam. Sending my impressions off to JH today for some JH16, but also opting 100USD for the earplugs seems a bit much, considering theyre half the price (and probably similar) at 1964.

JH16s on order? You might want to just wait for those: isolation isn't bad on my JH13s, drowning out most office chatter. Even the quietest music makes me oblivious to most conversations. Do you think they won't be enough? I certainly don't think they're dork-mode, if that's what you're worrying about.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:00 PMPost #8 of 10

Staal

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Posts
1,290
Likes

I actually had not considered just using those, lol.

I guess even without music (if I have music runnin' I tend to drift from my books and focus on the music) they would still isolate a bit, aye?

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:38 PMPost #9 of 10

sourced

Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Posts
Likes

Quote:

staal said:

I actually had not considered just using those, lol.

Yes. What I was trying to say was that even with no music, office chatter is muffled significantly (as long as they're not right next to you). I usually can't make out the words, so it's not distracting to me. With (quiet) music on, I really am oblivious to most conversations. I can relate to getting distracted by the music when I'm studying, but if I turn it down enough (and you can turn it down quite low on the JH13s without losing much) it's not so bad.

Plus, with headphones on, most people leave you alone. Another plus is that custom iems are really quite comfortable, so you won't be limited to 2-3 hours of quiet. Even after long listening sessions, I don't hesitate to put them back in.

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:51 PMPost #10 of 10

logwed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Posts
4,066
Likes

Quote:

staal said:

Oh.. I don't.. No. I don't have the street cred to pull that off.

Block-All-Sound Earplugs? (16)

Pretty crazy how silent it is when you're getting the impressions, aye? I thought that it was pretty neat, when they took them out EVERYTHING was loud, lights buzzing, people talking. When they were in my ears, it was probably the quietest state that I've ever experienced.

You must log in or register to reply here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Total:2 (members:0, guests:2)